Some families prefer to stay in upper upscale five-star full-service properties whereas others simply use a campground and sleep under the stars.
Most Families Prefer Something In The Middle
Most family reunions prefer something in the middle. With the multitude of choices in hotels, the decision to select one really comes down to what the hotel is willing to offer to your family reunion. Some hotel chains are better suited to host family reunions due to their culture, amenities, and cost advantages.
If you are looking for a hotel for your family reunion, we would suggest you start your search in the 2 to 3 star rating where most midscale properties reside.
Why Full Service Midscale Hotels Are Great For Family Reunions
Midscale hotels offer several amenities for free that higher-rated hotels often charge for. Free Wi-Fi, breakfast, in room refrigerators and microwaves are staples in most midscale hotel rooms. Having these amenities for free significantly reduces the per person cost of the family reunion.
Hospitality Suite For your Family Reunion
Full-service midscale hotels also have meeting rooms which they can use as hospitality suites for your family reunion. If you’re booking a large group for your family reunion, then the hospitality suite is usually complimentary. This room can be used as a family gathering place, smack station, and if large enough, and activity room.
They Offer Connecting Rooms
Full-service properties are generally larger hotels that have connecting rooms which are great for couples with kids. They also have the ability to block your family reunion group rooms near each other (Or at least on the same floor) so you don’t have to go very far.
You Get Discounted Banquet Rates
A full-service midscale property also offers banquets which they would be more than happy to discount if you take up hotel rooms. Traditionally, hotels offer somewhere between 10 to 20% menu prices to groups that are staying in-house.
Many Offer Complimentary Shuttle Service
Another advantage is that many of these midscale properties offer competent free shuttle service and will be glad to pick up family reunion members from the airport, train and bus stations. Many of the four and five-star hotels do not offer complimentary shuttle service so it becomes an add-on expense for the family reunion.
Better Comp Ratio
Midscale properties also offer a more generous comp ratio towards your family reunion. You can expect a 1 in 20 comp ratio for a family reunion during non-peak months. A 1 in 20 comp ratio means that for every 20 paid rooms, one room is free.
Try A Midscale Extended Stay Property To Save Even More Money
Lately, extended-stay properties that offer full kitchens in hotel rooms have become very popular with family reunions. The cost savings are tremendous when you factor in how much each family spends for breakfast, lunch, and dinner during the course of a weekend family reunion. Our most favorite hotel chains that offers these kinds of rooms is Homewood suites. While there overnight rooms are higher, the free breakfast and a full kitchen will more than make up for the difference.
So What Hotel Brands Should You Look Into For A Family Reunion?
While not every hotel below is a full-service midscale property, they do have many of the qualities that we mentioned above.
If you are looking to get rates from any of the hotels chains below, just fill out this easy group hotel rates form. As soon as you submit the request, hotels in your desired city and star rating will respond the group rates without you having to make a single phone call.
- Best Western – Most of these hotels offer a free breakfast, free shuttle service, free WiFi, etc. Usually larger properties with pools and connecting rooms.
- Candlewood Suites- Fully-equipped kitchen with full-size refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave and stovetop, plus a variety of dishes, cookware, and utensils. Also offers a television with DVD Player to keep the kids busy.
- Country Inns & Suites- Connecting rooms and suties available, Microwave and refrigerator, Wireless high-speed Internet access (complimentary)
- Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts – Large full service hotel with all the amenities that you can expect from a higher end brand. Some locations charge for WiFi.
- Embassy Suites – Free cooked to order breakfast!! Can’t go wrong with that.
- Extended Stay America – Good for budget minded family reunions.They offer fully equipped kitchens, In-room wireless Internet access, On-premise laundry facilities, Cable tv with movie channels, Fitness center, pool, and
- Pet-friendly rooms.
- Hampton Inn – Really good free breakfast adn free WiFi along with a Hampton Bed.
- Hilton Garden Inn- Slighlty upscale properties that are nicer than the average hotel.
- Holiday Inn Express – Most of these are recently renovated or new. They offer free WiFi, and a very good breakfast for free. Many have small meeting rooms that you can use as a hospitality suite.
- Homewood Suites- Highly recommend this chain. They offer full kitchens, free breakfast, and great locations.
- Hyatt Summerfield Suites- Spacious one and two-bedroom suites with free WiFi. They also have complimentary full breakfast and an evening social, a fitness center and pool (at most locations). Other amenities include grocery shopping service (Comes in handy in a pinch), Outdoor BBQ grills (No need to go bring your own for the family reunion), and a TV with DVD player. Finally, they also offer a fully equipped kitchen.
- Staybridge Suites – They offer spacious one and two bedroom suites with full kitchens, and Deluxe breakfast buffet featuring Wolfgang Puck Coffee. Fitness center, pool, BBQ pavillion and free WiFi.
The hotel you ultimately select will not have everything your family reunion needs but should have the best combination of group hotel rates, amenities, freebies and location. Following the advice above will lead to increase satisfaction among your family members and will also help lower the cost per person.
What should you do next?
Block hotel rooms for your family reunion by getting group rates today. Remember that hotel rates go up as your reunion dates get closer so get started now. It’s free so you’ve got nothing to lose.